Thursday, May 14, 2009

History of present illness?

I feel better today (^^)

Last night I paid a visit to a hospital's Emergency and Casualty Department. It was 9.40pm. The reason? General weakness and dehydration due to vomiting.

In clinical postings, history taking is what we were told as the most important thing to do when seeing a patient. So here's my history as written in my card:

Pt comes with H/o vomitting - 4 episodes - not blood stained, non foul smelling
(they never asked about blood or smell, but they're right anyway)

h/o nausea; h/o 1 episode of loose stools - watery; no h/o fever; h/o burning sensation in epigastric region

(Pt = patient; h/o= history of)

Anyway, below that was written my vital signs - temperature, pulse, blood pressure, respiratory rate (although i didn't recall having any apparatus attached to measure my blood pressure level heheh). Recorded out of experience maybe? ;p

Following report of systemic examination was written the impression: Acute gastroenteritis. Hmm. Thankfully, my roommate insisted we go to the hospital. I was thinking of going the next morning since it was late but for fear of getting worse (and I couldn't sleep well anyway), I went with her half-joking that I'd probably be given IV fluid, which ends up to be true (since I was dehydrated) huehue. I had never been in so bad a condition as to require anti emetic injections and ringer lactate IV fluids. However, it was for immediate relief and I was sent home at 12 midnight with a bag of 6 different tablets plus 5 packets of ORS.

I will watch more carefully what I eat after this but who knows when this may happen right? It's not as if I'm not careful of what I eat before. In fact, I ate the same food my housemate was eating and I'm the only person who got sick from it ;p talk about luck. Anyway, thanks to my roomie who accompanied me to the hospital (the strange delirious auto driver whom drove us to the hospital dropped us 500m away and we had to walk!!), and also to nicky whom took the time to fetch us from the hospital and send us home. Geez, how I shook with hunger that night! At last I could eat! Thanks for the instant fish-flavoured porridge mom, that was really useful at a time like this. Yes, I feel more energetic now ^^V

Happily recovering. Goodnight. God bless everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bean Grinders